Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Weekend Recap

This weekend there were some things old and something new. I checked out the Vintage Trunk Show at Project 4 on Friday and I finally made it to the new Bloomies on Sunday.

Some Things Old...
Last week when I found out about the Trunk Show, I really wasn't sure what to expect; I was braced for the worst and hoping for the best. Friday after work I rushed home, grabbed a few trusty shopping buddies, and we were off to U St. ! When we arrived at the gallery there were ample mojitos, champagne, and other delightful cocktails, so things were off to a promising start. There was one main rack of clothes, a smaller rack with coats and then a display of shoes and another of handbags, hats, and scarves. A quick glance at the clothing and one could spot some lovely dresses, but with vintage things it's always the question of "is this thing actually going to fit me?" I ventured off into one of the changing rooms with an armful of dresses, a cocktail, and a fully loaded bank card. Several of the dresses looked quite nice, but a mustard colored wool dress from the 50's (complete with a leopard belt) was the obvious choice. Needless to say, I was quite excited!!!

Several girls were milling about "modeling" some of the dresses, but the atmosphere was light and fun like a bunch of girls going through their grandmothers' closets finding each new dress more fun than the last. I found out that Uesa Goods provided the vintage pieces and had an upstairs room fully stocked to replenish the racks as needed. Since the trunk show was all weekend that meant that Saturday and Sunday were prime shopping days as well! It took every ounce of restraint for me to not go back...

Something New...
I had heard good things about the new Bloomingdale's in Chevy Chase, but obviously I had to go see for myself. Everything is nice and new and shiny and wonderful, but more importantly the selection is quite impressive! More than anything, though, I was excited by the large contemporary section. It's organized primarily by designer/brand, with the jeans having their own section and let's just say they definitely needed a section all to themselves! The store was very spacious and the layout made everything easy to navigate. Low racks and few walls also make it easy to spot your shopping buddy across the store eyeing a jaunty ensemble , allowing you to intervene and save you both some embarrassment. I did not purchase anything on this visit, but I'm anxiously awaiting their sales!!!

All in all I'd say I was relatively well-behaved this weekend; at least in terms of shopping...

No comments: